Monday, February 1, 2010

Who Has the Right Way?

No one. I'm sure there are a million and one ways to start seeds and everyone has there own preference. We can all learn from each other and then choose what works best for us. I am amazed at others growing techniques. Someone mentioned to me about winter sowing and I am not opposed to it at all. Maybe for columbines, marigolds, common annuals. Matter of fact I have about a kabillion Aquilegia seeds (all kinds of species) I'm going to sow out side this weekend. Whatever comes up comes up! I've decided to have a columbine garden. But for those plants I want to hand propagate I have to do something different. On March 1st I'm going to do something I've never done before. Buy these little doohickies here.



A sponge like material, all natural soilless organic grow plugs made of composted tree bark and organic materials.

Then I will place one each in a 50 cell 1020 Grow tray with the dome for humidity. Hardening off??!! Ahhhhh that's a whole nother story! Haven't gotten to that part yet. But for now my plans to germinate the Little Baggies will be to empty the seeds and vermiculite into a ziplock bag (with more vermiculite) keep warm, provide light, and when the seeds sprout. Remove each baby by hand and place it in the plug. I read to place the seeds into the plug for germination...But here's my thoughts and logic. Why waste a plug?? Not every seed germinates, so when it does then I will place it in the plug. More to come later..

2 comments:

Is the Wiz said...

What a great site! Full of ideas & info. I've grown a variety of penstemon called "Navigator", small but identical to yours.Lovely colours

Kim Michelle said...

Thanks! I'll have to look that one up. Maybe it is Navigator.

Post a Comment