Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Astrantia Frenzy!


This is the First and Last Astrantia I've seen.

Great Masterwort 'Rubra'...


I was inexperienced and didn't know any better. I killed this poor plant before the flower fully opened up. This was the onset of flowering 5 years ago when I took this picture, and 5 years ago I just didn't know better then to pull a plant up. I was so excited that is was about to flower I pulled and placed it somewhere else. It flopped, got an attitude, withered, and died. Well I have never germinated an Astrantia seed in my life. This plant was sent to me from one of my fellow gardening friends in the mail. The bottom line is... now I am determined to grow whatever and any Astrantia I can. Haven't got a clue what this seed requires. But I have collected many different species and used my little germination baggy method with vermiculite, wishing and hoping. These seeds have been moist packed and refrigerating for 8 weeks now. I'm gonna give it another 4 weeks and bring them out for success or failure...sigh. To the growing lights and warmth (heat mats) they go!

3 comments:

The Idiot said...

Good luck; hope you don't kill this one, you murderer! (only joking)

Kim Michelle said...

I'm cracking up! LOL. I hope not either.

Anonymous said...

Hi! I am writing from Toronto, Zone 6A. I am very keen to grow as many Astrantia from seed as I can as I love them and the ones I have are doing pretty well in part shade. Please tell me what your success was with your Astrantia from 2 years ago. Do you think the baggy method worked well? Many thanks, Carolyn

Post a Comment