Saturday, February 13, 2010

OHHH MY Goodness!

I just received this message from a fellow gardener:

Couple of pointers, if you put moist packed seeds in the fridge, watch them closely, they may start to sprout. I do this with ones that require a moist cold period and then plant them in pots when they are beginning to germinate (though I have been too late a couple of times). Works well with monkshoods (Aconitum) as an example.
If seed is refrigerated, not frozen, even short lived seed like Agapanthus will live for years. I germinated A. coddii seed that was more than five years old, but it was refrigerated upon reciept.
Short lived seeds, at room temp, are pretty common in the following families (there are exceptions) Asteraceae, Poaceae (grasses), Ranunculaceae (monkshoods, buttercups, delphiniums, etc), and Amaryllaceae (fleshy seeds need planting even with refrigeration within a few weeks, black flattened seeds like Zephyanthes last longer but should be refrigerated if you plan on keeping more than 6 months).
Particularly long lived seeds often have hard impermeable seed coats, some examples would be Hibiscus and some scented leaved pelargoniums.
Of course, if you have old seeds, there's no harm in trying them out, pleasant surprises are one of the fun things about gardening!

So What did I do???


I just run to the fridge after I got the message. Wouldn't you know..I'm in trouble now. I have seeds I have had for 10 years and every last one is germinated in the bag. What to do now??? And the Aconitum seeds I paid big money are germinated. I wasn't ready for that..Now what?? I didn't know seeds germinate in the cold. Ohhhh phooey. Not set up..it's cold here, grow lights in a box, and I'm just not ready.

Growing Adventures...that's why I named this Blog.

Needless to say... I guess the method really works!

Vermiculite Germination Bag

 
Ok..got all the Aconitums potted up and out the fridge. Stuck the ones that didn't germinate back in with more vermiculite. Well if you want to call this potted up. It was the best I could do for now and stuck them in a windowsill..until I get set up.

3 comments:

tina said...

I say go ahead and get set up soon. Can't let those aconitum seeds go to waste. I love that plant and have not been able to get the seeds to germinate here. I might have to try the fridge trick.

Kim Michelle said...

I would have NEVER known they would germinate in the fridge. Now I am about to pot them all up. I was actually thinking I was going to bring them out in April. Ummmm guess not..lol This is a good one: Aconitum lycoctonum subsp. moldavicum. And have a feeling some will go to waste.

Tamara Jansen said...

OK, that is something I didn't know and I'm a greenhouse lady. LOL Love your blog! You should meet my sister 'cause she's got plants all over her house to :)

Post a Comment